Please note: The Association of Fitness Studios (AFS) has rebranded to the Fitness Business Assocation (FBA). Fitness studios will always be the heart and soul of the audience we serve, however, our new name perfectly embraces our vision, which embraces fitness businesses of all types.
2019 Fitness Studio Operating and Financial Benchmarking Report
This is the fifth annual AFS-sponsored study among fitness studio owners and operators to identify baseline performance metrics. The study was conducted via an online survey among various segments of potential participants as defined by AFS.
Every year AFS surveys thousands of studios owners, executives, and trainers to learn about trends, challenges, financial metrics and success strategies. This year's report is our most ambitious yet, including a financial breakdown of studios by region, studio type, and size to get the most accurate data possible.
What you'll learn in this Report...
- The people, geography, and studio profiles of respondents
- Brief outlook on the future of fitness studios
- Deep dive into the business operations
- Financial breakdown of studios by region, studio type, and size
- Profitability profile of studios turning a profit
- AFS member and non-member comparisons
Key Observations from the 2019 Fitness Studio Benchmarking Report
- Over 600 Respondents Across the Country!
- Within the Report, “studio” is a fitness business that occupies a space of 10,000 square feet or less.
- All 50 US States Represented
- From coast to coast, the 2019 report canvassed the US to get the most accurate data possible.
- 15% Average Member Growth vs. a Year Ago
- The velocity of new memberships for studios less than 2,000 sq. ft. far outpaces other size tiers
- AFS Members Continue to Outperform Non-Members
- From revenue per member to new clients acquired - AFS members are leading the pack!
"Research is a critical component to member success. I'm ecstatic to see that our members continue to perform better by utilizing our benefits. We'll continue to develop unbiased, credible data to enhance our member’s ability to make sound business decisions."
FBA Founder & CEO